ONLINE WEBINAR SERIES
The international Demand-Led Breeding (DLB) working group with UKZN’s African Centre for Crop Improvement (ACCI) hosted a series of webinars for the research and development community in Southern Africa. The aim is to create dialogues to strengthen plant breeding and to make the case for investing in demand-led plant breeding in Southern Africa.
Eminent academics and R&D managers from Southern Africa and internationally will be providing keynote addresses. Event participants include public and private sector plant breeders, educators, R&D managers, demand-led breeding alumni, and policy makers.
Making the Case for Investing in Demand-Led Plant Breeding in Southern Africa
A dialogue to make the case for sustainable investments in plant breeding in Southern Africa
FRIDAY 22 OCTOBER 2021: 10h00 – 13h00
- Dr Rufaro Madakadze, Senior Program Officer in Extension and Capacity Building, Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA): Making the cases for sustainable investments in plant breeding and seed systems in Africa
- Dr Francois Koekemoer, Field Crops Seed Development Lead Sub-Sahara Africa, Sensako, Syngenta Seeds: Issues and challenges of plant breeding in Southern Africa
- Dr Lukeshni Chetty, General Manager, South African National Seed Organization (SANSOR): The landscape of the seed industry and supports rendered by the South African National Seed Organization
- Dr B.M. Prasanna, Director, CGIAR Research Program MAIZE & Global Maize Program, International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center (CIMMYT): Research partnership for a food-secure Africa
- Professor Mark Laing, University of KwaZulu-Natal, African Centre for Crop Improvement (ACCI): Climate change and plant breeding